Machine Operators / Foundry Operators
Successful operation of off-bearer/wheel, material handling, furnace loading, wheel operation, and mill operation. Monitor the mill pressing aluminum into sheets. Assure accuracy of thickness/width of gauges. Monitor gauges for changes in pressure and water temperatures. Responsible for controlling the flow of molten metal from the furnace to the wheel where it cools and is processed.
- Open furnace and allow molten aluminum to exit through tap hole.
- Control rate of metal to fill small tilt furnaces.
- Allow metal to run through degasser.
- Monitor metal as it enters the wheel and cools.
- Clean and examine belt and wheel.
- Skim/scrape tilt furnaces.
- Complete wheel and belt sheet (including condition of belt, spray/sand belt and wheel, and temperature of metal.
- Check cast strip for cracks, blisters, oxides, and any other visible defects.
- Monitor strip for cracks, blisters, or any variances.
- Record gauge readings a minimum of five times per coil.
- Measure and record finished coil.
- Check customer, date, weight, and batch number for correctness.
- Check Hydraulics, Morgoil, and Quench tanks every hour.
- Clean down line, aluminum trough, and filter bowl.
- Shut mill down and make adjustments in belt, or gauges as necessary.
- Any other tasks as assigned by management including.
Position Requirement & competencies:
- High School Diploma or education equivalent required.
- Job-related experience for 2 years minimum.
- Ability to apply standard evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and modification of standard can and end making techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Ability to learn operating principles of all assigned equipment.
- Must be able to handle sensitive related and proprietary information in a confidential manner.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- Must follow company policies, procedures, practices, and standards of conduct as outlined in the Ball Corporation manuals.
- Maintains awareness and complies with hazardous waste management and other environmental management requirements in the workplace by attending scheduled training sessions.
- Ability to learn nomenclature of all assigned equipment, products, and quality standards.
- Ability to learn to identify product defects.
- Proficient in the use of hand and power tools.
- Ability to operate fork truck and aero lift if required.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to organize, plan, and prioritize.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to concentrate and pay attention to details.
- Must have sufficient endurance to perform tasks over long periods of time.
- Ability to operate and functionally use a computer.
- Must maintain professional competence, ethical integrity, knowledge, and skills.
- Working knowledge of the following areas: nomenclature of all assigned equipment and products.
- Possesses an interest in and an aptitude for mechanics.
- May require forklift license.
- Works in a manufacturing environment.
- This position is exposed to occupational hazards, including but not limited to, high noise levels, physical obstacles, exposure to chemicals, etc.
- Must wear appropriate safety glasses, hearing protection, clothing, and footwear in appropriate areas and follow safety practices.
- Works in confined area(s).