Leadership Greater Augusta
Sponsorship Opportunities for Leadership Greater Augusta can be found here.
Leadership Greater Augusta is a 9-month intensive training program for emerging and existing leaders; LGA builds the needed skills, knowledge, motivation and vision to develop a stronger community.
The purpose of Leadership Greater Augusta is to advance positive, progressive and orderly business and professional development in the Greater Augusta Region by achieving the following:
- Educate potential and existing business and community leaders through exposure to diverse realities, personalities, and challenges in the community.
- Develop and enhance visionary leadership skills through in-depth training.
The objectives of Leadership Greater Augusta include the following:
- Inform participants about the Greater Augusta region’s history, government, economy, social issues, needs and opportunities, and the existing processes for dealing with them;
- Introduce participants to, and establish dialogue with, each other and current leaders in the Greater Augusta Region;
- Encourage participants to participate in future activities, which contribute to the growth and betterment of our community;
- Train participants to be visionary leaders and prepare them for higher level leadership roles in the community.
Session Schedule & Content
- August 30, 2017 Opening Reception
- September 6-7, 2017 Opening Retreat (Overnight Session)
- October 5, 2017 Agriculture
- November 2, 2017 Economic Development
- December 7, 2017 Local Government
- January 4, 2018 Education
- January 31-February 1, 2018 State Government (Overnight Session)
- March 1, 2018 Quality of Life
- April 5, 2018 Practical Servant Leadership
- May 3, 2018 Closing Session
- May 10, 2018 Graduation
Program Sessions & Attendance
Leadership Greater Augusta is a 9-month intensive training program. Class members have one official session per month beginning in September and lasting through May of the following year. Each regular session is generally held on the 1st Thursday of the month, from 7:45am – 5:00pm, with the exception of the two overnights involving hotel stays (Opening Retreat in September, State Session in February).
Other requirements include completion of homework assignments and at least three assigned extracurricular activities outside of the regular sessions.
Program participants cannot miss more than 16 hours (2 sessions). Participants who arrive late or leave early on more than 3 occasions will also not be eligible to graduate from the program.
Applicants must live or work in the Greater Augusta region. Persons who are, at the time of participant selection, publicly elected officials, are not eligible. All other individuals are eligible. However, couples cannot participate in the same class.
The most important consideration in selection is identifying those individuals most able to utilize their leadership skills for the long-term benefit of the Greater Augusta community. The basic criteria for selection include the following:
- Sincere commitment, motivation, and interest to serve the community.
- Evidence of career or community achievement appropriate to age and experience.
- Intention to seek public office, boards, commissions or other similar servant leadership roles.
- Potential or existing opportunity for advancement to top leadership positions within their own organization, which may in turn play a significant role in the community.
- Occupational and/or personal commitment and desire to remain in the Greater Augusta region.
The most important consideration in selection is identifying those individuals most apt to utilize their leadership skills for the long term benefit of the Greater Augusta community.
Leadership Greater Augusta Seeks Individuals….
….who represent a cross section of the community including business, education, non-profit, government, arts, clergy, service and community organizations, and various ethnic/minority, age and gender groups. The aim is to create a class of 25 that represents a “miniature Greater Augusta community.”
….with potential for advancement to leadership positions within their own organization which may result in significant influence over important issues facing the community.
….with the commitment to complete the Leadership Greater Augusta program with the full support of the corporation or organization he/she represents.
….with the intention, upon completion of the program, to seek roles on community boards, commissions, key volunteer leadership positions in the community, or public office.
Selection Committee & Selection Process
Participants will be selected by an anonymous selection committee. The committee is made up of Leadership Greater Augusta Alumni. The selection committee is charged with forming a class that represents a reasonable cross section of the backgrounds, interests, and business and civic ties.
Participants will be notified of their selection no later than August 15, 2017.
Leadership Greater Augusta is offered to selected participants at a fee of $590 which includes all nine program sessions, materials, snacks, meals and overnight accommodations during retreats. The remainder of the program cost is funded by generous sponsors and foundations. Tuition can be paid by the participant or by the participant’s employer or sponsor.
Tuition is due at the start of the program by August 30.
Applications are now available and the deadline to complete the application is August 1st. Read through the Application Instructions on this website, and then start your application here!
For more information, please contact the Director of Programs & Special Events of the Greater Augusta Regional Chamber of Commerce, Debbie Irwin, at (540) 324-1133 or email@example.com